Re: Spam in the lists out of control

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 05:00:32PM +0200, Bas Zoetekouw scribbled:
> Hi Marek!
Hello,

[snip]

> > > Yeah. I would kill every administrator which sets notify for sender
> > > about viruses to the address from From: header with a pleasure ;)
>
> > Well, that's a bit different story, isn't it?
>
> No, it's not.  Both automaticaly send out unsollicited messages to
> innocent 3th parties.  That's called spamming in my dictionary.
You send me a mail. My TMDA generates a response which is sent on _my_
behalf. I think if you write me, you're expecting a response - how is that
unsolicited? Besides, you can easily treat the TMDA challenges as spam and
discard them automatically - much easier to do than filtering spam. And as I
wrote in the other mail, the two cases aren't the same IMO. There is a small
chance the mail any of us sends will ever be scored above 0.0 by
SpamAssassin and friends and, therefore, you can safely filter and discard
all the TMDA challenges out - since the only TMDA challenges would be coming
as a result of spam that impersonates you and you don't care about such
mail. So the spammer sends the mail as you, some tmda generates the
challenge, your filter dumps the challenge and you never get to see it.
Traffic? Much less of it than people sending graphics, movies, Excel
spreadsheets, voice mail etc. So, the way I see it, with little effort all
parties could be satisfied.

regards,

marek