Re: Social Contract: Practical Implications

On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 07:36:24PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> DFSG#10 explicitly states that the GPL is an example of a license we
> consider free.  This true, even though the GPL contains the following
> statements:

The importance of the argument is not license texts at all.  As I've said, I
don't really care about license texts in main; if somebody thinks it's a
problem, they can go ahead and try to fix it.

The importance is that the word "program" in the DFSG not be used as an
excuse to ignore much of the DFSG for documentation and other things that
aren't "programs".  I think there's a clear consensus that the entire DFSG
applies to all software, including documentation; a large point of 2004_003,
to my understanding, was to confirm this officially.

--
Glenn Maynard