Re: Social Contract: Practical Implications

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 09:22:30AM -0600, developer list wrote:
> 1. If there is a degradation of performance, is anyone thinking of
> establishing an alternate path through the archives, using apt-get,
> where, for example, kernel packages with firmware would be placed in
> non-free and would be available by configuring the apt-get
> appropriately?

The plan as I understand it is to move the firmware in to non-free.
Simply adding it to your sources list should accomplish what you need,
if all goes according to plan. The sticking point is most likely the
installer right now, but that can be handled. Also search the list
archives for non-free.org, which is another option.

> 2. Is there a movement to establish a relaxed Debian distribution, with
> an independent archive that is maintained to be as close as possible to
> the ideal Debian archive, but where performance is given equal weight to
> strict interpretation of "free"?

Standard Debian along with non-free would fulfill this function as it
has for years.

 - David Nusinow