Re: When will amd64 be allowed in sid?

Michael Neuffer wrote:

Quoting Adam Majer (adamm@galacticasoftware.com):

I agree, and I think we should try to get all issues resolved
as quickly as possible that currently keep the AMD64 port(s)
from beeing added as ports and added to the Debian infrastructure
(ftp server, autobuilders etc).

We actually have TWO AMD64 ports:
  bi-arch ie. can run 64 and 32 bit binaries
  pure    ie. only runs 64 bit binaries

The pure 64bit port is the easy one, that is ready to be added to
the ftp server.

Risking repeating myself, I want a 64-bit only port. At this point I don't care much about 32-bit on 64-bit.

The only 32-bit app I could run on 64-bit might be Maya[1], but then why should I run 64-bit in that case when i386 port would be just as fast. No, I don't really care about 32-bit on 64-bit. Alias will produce 64-bit Maya soon anyway, so 32 on 64bit support will not be needed in my case.

That's why I don't care about biarch support :) I'm quite certain that most people will be happy with 64-bit only port.

- Adam