Re: Mass bug filing: Cryptographic protection against modification

> Since you can't take the original source and rebuild the firmware image,
> even with all the compilers and tools originally used, I would say no.

> That would be like not shipping the Makefile.

Not quite.  In this case you have everything you need to build an
executable that might even run somewhere if you've got the right cpu.
You just can't build a binary identical to the one shipped with the
hardware, and you can't install your binary on the hardware because the
software already present there won't accept it.

And if you are enough of a hardware hacker you may be able to install it
anyway.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)