Re: Amendment to the Constitution: Add a new foundation document

On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 09:03:40PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Sun, 2 May 2004 23:17:07 +0200, Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> said:

> > On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 01:15:33PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >> On consultation with the other sponsors, I have decided to add a
> >> sunset clause to the proposed "Transition Guide", so that the
> >> specific references to Sarge are ex-purged after it is released.

> > Great. I've just got one question: Have you considered merging the
> > essence of this document into the constitution? This would save us
> > from adding another foundation document, but it might enlarge the
> > constitution somewhat depending on how terse we could formulate
> > this.

> 	I considered it, but not for long. I can't write in the same
>  manner as the constitution is written -- I gelt that a transition
>  guide line, since it is a guide, not a set of rigid, well defined
>  delineation of powers and jurisdictions, required a more verbose
>  handling than the constitution has.

> 	I don't think terseness is a virtue when we are trying to
>  define a generic set of guiding principles anyway.

This is a major factor contributing to my belief that such a transition
*guide* should not be given the status of a foundation document.  I
think terseness is a virtue where such documents are concerned, and that
we can address the problems that have been brought to our attention by
this current crisis without needing to add this much text -- perhaps a
couple of sentences added to the constitution, but no more than that.

Here's a quick stab at the latter:

  Unless otherwise specified in the resolution, any resolution which
  modifies the Social Contract or the DFSG shall take effect 6 months
  after ratification, and any stable versions of the Debian OS released
  prior to the end of this transition period shall be governed by the
  previous version of these documents for the duration of its stable
  release cycle.

Hmm. OTOH, this seems like a poor fit for the constitution.  It still
doesn't seem to me like it needs a whole new document, though.

Cheers,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer