Re: New summary: Binary peripheral software

On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 10:41, Francesco Paolo Lovergine wrote:
> Also, the kernel - which is GPL - interacts with
> processors which are programmed with very high-level languages.
> God, a GPL program which strictly interact with 'programs' not
> available in 'preferred form' sources, but only on sylicon ???

If I interpret you correctly, you are saying that Debian should
distribute non-free peripheral software in main because no one
can do _entirely_ without non-free software anyway.

If Debian were proposing to ship computer systems then you would
be right: Debian could not ship entirely free computer systems,
so worrying about firmware in particular would be pointless in
that case.

However, Debian is only trying to ship free software.  Admittedly
users will run this software on machines that are non-free in
many ways, but that is their business.  At least users will know
that what they got from Debian is DFSG-free.  In the future maybe
other projects will provide the remaining parts of a fully free
computer system.
--
Thomas Hood <jdthood@yahoo.co.uk>