Re: Re: more evil firmwares found

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 01:06:47PM +1000, Donovan Baarda wrote:
> Firmware walks the grey line between hardware and software. The spirit

I disagree with this.  It might walk a gray line between "program" and
"data", but as a stream of bits, it's unambiguously software.

> useful for modification. With firmware, terms like "preferred form for
> modification" are largely useless as no form is useful for modification

This may be the case, but I don't think that's a problem with the phrase as
a definition of source; but rather that, in some cases, there simply is no
source.

For both of the above, I think this only means that some leeway may be
required in when and how DFSG#2.  I believe the rest of the DFSG applies
easily.  (I have no idea what a good approach is for DFSG#2, though--I
think we're all a little wary of slippery slopes and unnecessary
concessions.)

--
Glenn Maynard