Re: Menu files in /usr/lib/menu violate FHS

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 10:17:19PM +0200, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> * Bill Allombert <allomber@math.u-bordeaux.fr> [2002-12-17 20:28]:
> > I plan to upload a new menu package that support menu files in both
> > /usr/share/menu and /usr/lib/menu as a transitionnal measure.
>
>  I was wondering why this hasn't happend yet....

After some discussion on debian-policy I have decided to
1) Change menu to read menu files in both /usr/lib/menu and /usr/share/menu
(/usr/lib/menu having higher priority)

2) To document this change only after sarge is released so that people
doing partial upgrade don't get broken menu. Packages for sarge must
still use /usr/share/menu.

>  And I discussed with a fellow developer and he raised some interesting
> concerns wrt/ that:
>
>  Putting the menu files into /usr/share would make files in /usr/share
> depend on stuff in architecture directories. The purpose of /usr/share
> is that it is shareable amongst different machines. If you use such a
> setup an update-menus on a machine that doesn't have the package
> installed would create a menu entry that simply doesn't work.

Remember, menu checks if the package is installed so for example a
liloconfig menu entry will be displayed only if the lilo package is
installed on the box. In extreme cases, you will still be able to ship
your menu entry in /usr/lib/menu if it needs to be different between
architecture (but it seems unlikely to be ever needed).

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.