Re: Proposal - Deferment of Changes from GR 2004-003

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 04:12:30PM +0200, Guido Trotter wrote:
> > 1. that the amendments to the Social Contract contained within the
> >    General Resolution "Editorial Amendments To The Social Contract"
> >    (2004 vote 003) be immediately rescinded;
> > 2. that these amendments, which have already been ratified by the Debian
> >    Project, will be reinstated effective as of September 1, 2004 without
> >    further cause for deliberation.

> Just one comment...

> This GR actually changes the SC, and thus is done according to the
> constitution § 4.1.5 and requires 3:1 majority to pass...

> This may be bad, since we've just changed the SC, and we actually don't
> want to change it back. (It may be bad publicity too)

> Can't we have a GR that simply overrules aj's decision about his personal
> interpretation of the SC (according to the constitution § 4.1.3) and simply
> reaffirms that the changes done to the social contract are only editorial,
> and are done to clarify its meaning?

> Actually none of us have any problems with the new SC, it's only aj's
> decision to anticipate dealing with this issues before sarge, instead of
> after it, that we don't like...

I don't believe I have the moral authority to tell aj that he's wrong to
follow the Social Contract more strictly than I would.  Do you?

I also think that, whichever way the GR is worded, it warrants the 3:1
supermajority requirement because it does impact our implementation of
the foundation documents.

Cheers,
--
Steve Langasek