Re: Survey on Debian usage
- Q: Are you a: (note: you may choose more than one)
[ ] Debian developer, or otherwise involved in contributing to Debian
[ ] Free software developer
[X] User, using Debian for: Everything from one week ago.
[X] Other: SuSE 8 user for a year and a half (but now I do not have it installed).
- Q: Could you please provide one or two typical episodes (whatever you feel
like) of your life with Debian?
A: I've just started my debianization proccess, so I don't have much to tell. But I can assure you that my computer has been full renewed, and I love GNU/Linux even more than before.
- Q: Could you please provide one or two fantasy episodes of your life with
Debian, if you were to make a movie or a comic strip about yourself as a
A: Cameron Diaz with a wet Debian white t-shirt while I ...
Well. I just would like someday to contribute Debian with something made by me. My first step is completinf this survey.
- Q: What Debian distribution are you using?
A: 3.0 r1 (bf2.4 in one computer, vanilla in other)
- Q: What do you think people use Debian for?
A: In professional environment, as a server, mostly. In home, it's so flexible that I suppose that there are so many Debians "uses" as "users" are.
- Q: What is the thing you most frequently use Debian for?
A: I'm still installing my packages because I installed Debian for first time just four days ago. But currently I navigate Internet and use my email (Mozilla 1.6), watch movies with ogle-xmms, burn cds with cdrecord and mkisofs (funny), use xawtv for programming my Playstation 2 (Linux kit installed), use my 6in1 card reader to share files with my iPaq and my camera, and I can use my favorite window manager: fluxbox.
- Q: What do you think is the most INTERESTING aspect or feature of Debian?
A: You can start with a robust but minimal set of programs. And you can, then, install ONLY what you need with order and cleanly.
- Q: Are there some aspects or features of Debian that do not satisfy you?
A: The installer gave me some problems. But nothing else.
- Q: What do you think is the most USEFUL aspect or feature of Debian?
A: apt-get install solve-my-life
- Q: Is there something you especially like doing with Debian? What is it?
A: To use my computer is now a pleasure. I love to use the un*x command line, but I think that is not very Debian specific, isn't it?.
- Q: Is there something you DO NOT like doing with Debian? What is it?
A: Nothing special.
- Q: What is the MOST SUCCESSFUL deed you have achieved with Debian?
A: Installing it!!! It was difficult because of some video problems.
- Please take a moment to recall what is the WORST INCIDENT you had
Q: What was it?
A: I couldn't make the installer works. It hung.
Q: How did you get into it, and out of it?
A: I had lot of trouble because it seems that my graphic card (ATI 128) doesn't support the default framebuffer (svga16) and I had to learn to disable it because I only saw a black screen. After that, I saw the installer but it hung one time and again at modconf. I had to disable some Video Cache options in the BIOS, as exposed in the documentation and it went OK. After installing, I disabled the aty128fb also because it made the whole system freeze when xawtv runs.
- Imagine you have a crystal ball allowing you to see 10 years in the
future, and have a look inside.
Q: Will you still be using Debian?
A: Yes. Or some Debian related as progeny.
Q: If yes, what will you be doing with it?
A: Enjoying my computer.
- Q: Finally, please feel free to leave any feedback to Debian Developers
A: You are making an excellent job, and I relly feel in debt with you. I would like to give you something in return someday.
Regards from Madrid, Spain.
José María Sotomayor
Intecsa Uhde Industrial S.A.
Vía de los Poblados 11
28033 Madrid - España
La Informacion confidencial contenida en este e-mail esta destinada solamente
a la persona o entidad a la cual va dirigida.
Cualquier uso, revelacion, copia o distribucion de este documento esta prohibida
y puede ser ilegal. Si usted no es el destinatario, por favor borre este documento
y notifiquenoslo por e-mail . Las opiniones contenidas en este mensaje no son
necesariamente las opiniones de Intecsa Uhde Industrial S.A.
The confidential Information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the
person or entity to which it is addressed.
Any use, disclosure, copying or distribution of this document is prohibited
and may be unlawful.
If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy this document and notify
us by e-mail. Any opinions contained within this e-mail are not necessarily the
opinions of Intecsa Uhde Industrial S.A.