On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 15:43, Humberto Massa wrote:
> @ 27/04/2004 17:21 : wrote Joe Wreschnig :
>
> >Please, please fix your mailer. Glenn Maynard already explained what's
> >wrong, and your thread breaking is making it practically impossible to
> >follow you with over 300 messages in the relevant threads.
> >
> fixed. sorry.

It was not yet fixed when you replied to me. You also misattributed your
"?!?" to me when you replied this last time. Unless your mail client is
fixed, this is the last time I can reasonably reply to you.

> >Debian distributes a huge amount of non-free software in non-free. It is
> >not "part of Debian", but that's just a convenient fiction so some
> >people can sleep better at night. Florian only claimed that Debian
> >distributes the largest chunk of non-free software, and we definitely
> >do. :/
>
> He claimed "Debian distributes the larges chunk of non-free software".
> He did not cite any source for this "fact" (which it's not -- a fact).
> You repeated what he said and nothing else. I would like Weimer or
> anyone cite me: according to X and Y, we distribute X Gb of non-free
> software, SuSE distributes Y Gb of non-free software, Linspire
> distribute Z Gb of non-free software, hence Debian distributes the
> largest chunk.

Summing the result of:

 $ grep-dctrl -F Section -s Size -e non-free '/var/lib/dpkg/available' |
     sed 's/^Size: //'

Gives me 354627732, i.e. a little more 0.3GB. Doing the same for
Installed-Size gives me about 1GB. This does not count the non-free
software in main, nor packages for non-i386. I suspect that this
approximately doubles when other archs are taken into account; I make no
claims about how much it goes up when non-free software in main is taken
into account.

If someone can now provide reports for other distributions, we can
compare.

> Hint: nobody will, because it isn't.

If no one does, it is because it is remarkably difficult to get numbers
for Linspire, Fedora, Mandrake, Gentoo, etc, because they don't divide
up the packages like Debian does. Regardless, 1-2GB of non-free software
is a *huge* amount.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>