On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 10:16:09 -0400, Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> said:

> On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 09:59:53AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
>> The technical committee can't override the constitution (nor
>> foundation documents) any more than you can.

> Hmm.. actually, maybe that's not true in this case...

> Given that the intent of the most recent GR was "Editorial Changes",
> and given that those editorial changes have had technical effects,

	I beg to differ. What technical changes? A release policy
 change of this nature is certainly onn technical in nature.

> and given that the technical committee is empowered to decide on
> issues of technical policy, it probably is within the committee's
> bailiwick to grandfather the old meaning of the social contract in
> the context of Sarge.

	I would strongly disagree. The developers can certainly pass
 another GR, but the tech ctte should not override the wishes of the
 develoeprs when this is not a technical issue at hand.

> I think this should be talked throough on the committee list.

	Let me put it this way: it is a technical issue if you would
 file a BTS bug to resolve the issue, and, usually, if it is related
 to code, or other package components. We also generally do not resort
 to GR's for technical issues; the fact that you first thought of a GR
 to solve this should give you a hint that this is not a technical
 issue.

	Deciding when to release, and what can be released, does not
 fall in that domain.

	Expanding the powers of the tech-ctte for convenience, or the
 belief that the developers did not know what they were doing, or to
 take a short cut to a GR, is not acceptable.

	manoj
--
"The subspace _W inherits the other 8 properties of _V. And there
aren't even any property taxes." MacKay, Mathematics 134b