Re: Purge of firmware to recommence

* Chris Anderson (chris@nullcode.org) [040420 14:10]:
> On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 06:55, Herbert Xu wrote:
> > In accordance with the latest directive from the RM, I shall recommence
> > the removal of non-free firmware where no acceptable solution using
> > user-space firmware loaders has been provided.
> >
> > This will take place with the next upstream release of the respective
> > packages, i.e., 2.2.26/2.4.27/2.6.6.
> >
> > If it gets real close to the release and no upstream release is in
> > sight, then I will remove the firmware from the version that we
> > currently have.

> Perhaps I misunderstood, but wasn't no action supposed to be taken
> regarding the firmware until after sarge's release?

As far as I understood the release manager, the firmware could be part
of the kernel image as long as:
- The firmware is truly under GPL, i.e. real source and toolchain is
  there or
- some known good lawyer says it's ok.

Otherwise, it needs to be moved out of the physical kernel image (due
to copyright reasons), but not necessarily out of main.

Cheers,
Andi
--
   http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/