Re: massfiling

Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
>>The reason the package only supports apache-ssl and apache is that it
>>needs to know (and pass to wwwconfig-common) where to put it's apache
>>config section, i.e. where to introduce the /phpgroupware-Location. Is
>>there a solution suggested for that?
>
> Personally i didn't store each single detail for each single package, but
> apache-perl works exactly as apache and apache-ssl. apache-perl is only
> apache + mod_perl compiled in, instead of a DSO module. it has its own
> config files in /etc/apache-perl if this is what you are asking for.

What I was asking for was: Which server should a package use to have
phpgroupware's pages served and how do I find out?
Presently, phpgroupware asks via debconf, thus the user will only have
the choices I put there (i.e. not apache-perl at present).
As many packages provide some kind of service via a web interface, maybe
the the question (presented to the user in a fashion similar to the
phpmyadmin question) should be asked by apache-common or wwwconfig-common.
Note that you're cited with a problem that's strikingly similar
(location of htdocs) in TODO.Debian.

I'm kind of surprised about the appearant disinterest of the Debian
Apache team in (a tool similar to the apache configuration facilities
of) wwwconfig-common that would make it easy to avoid most of the bugs
at issue.
Maybe some common infrastructure would be nice?
A typical web-based foo will require "web server that does php", thus
any time someone introduces another apache* (that includes apache2)
variant or some other webserver, another couple of dozen bugs will be filed?

Kind regards

Thomas
--
Thomas Viehmann, <http://thomas.viehmann.net/>