Re: Questions about the amd64-multiarch-3 proposal

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 05:25:50PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 12:37:08AM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > I have some comment on the amd64-multiarch-3 proposal
> > <http://people.debian.org/~ajt/amd64-multiarch-3.txt>
> > First I think this update go in the right direction, at least it does
> > not look like a large kludge, but I need some clarification.
>
> Well, it doesn't actually work, since it doesn't provide a feasible way
> to upgrade from sarge to that scheme.

We could keep support for /usr/lib and /usr/include for the currently released
architecture and move arch-indep include files to /usr/share/include,
but that solve the first 1% of the problem.

Probably we will have to accept the idea that both libfoo1 and
libfoo1-arch should be co-installable while achieving the same purpose
during the transition (which is the second % of the problem).

> > I will assume, while it is not stated explicitly that amd64-multiarch-3
> > follow  amd64-multiarch-2 w.r.t. the introduction
> > /usr/$(gcc -dumpmachine)/{lib,include}
> > Without this assumption the proposal make no sense.
>
> Yup. I'm only interested in the package management details, which are
> mostly independent from the actual file structure.

> > >               - .so file
> > >                - libfooN-x, libfooM-x, libfooN-y must all be concurrently
> > >                  installable
> > If you ship the .so symlink here, how will you have libfooN-x and libfooM-x
> > concurently installable ?
>
> That's the .so.1.2.3.4 file (ie, the library itself), not the development
> symlink.

> (This should probably be lib<foo>-dev-<arch> in most cases)

The downside is forcing all architectures to start to build witch a new
soversion of library at the same time, something which is known to cause
lot of breakage on the autobuilder.
(Once foo-dev-common reach the archive, buildd cannot built packages
Build-Depending on foo-dev until foo-dev-$ARCH is uploaded.)

Well, thanks for your answer, I have made available a clarified version at
<http://people.debian.org/~ballombe/amd64-multiarch-3.1.txt>.

Cheers,
Bill.