Re: more evil firmwares found

Nathanael Nerode dijo [Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 03:34:58PM -0400]:
> (...)
> I agree that the drivers *without* the embedded object files are supplied as
> source code.  I would love to know which nonfree-firmware-loading drivers
> do not actually require firmware loading, so that the embedded object files
> can just be removed; a quick examination indicates, for example, that the
> tg3 driver only requires it for certain specific pieces of hardware, and
> not for other supported hardware.

In fact, I checked some days ago (when this whole mess started) on the
status of some of this drivers in BSDland, specially in OpenBSD, as
their team is much more strict when insisting on licensing and freedom
than Linus. The tg3 driver [1] is free of binary blobs. I checked two
or three cases, they are either not implemented or nonbinary... But
anyway, knowing that the kernel implementation of mostly everything is
so different, I quitted researching that - unless someone tells me he
can take the work on porting a BSD driver to Linux (read: Rewriting it
:) )...

[1] http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/dev/pci/if_bge.c

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.cx - (+52-55)5630-9700 ext. 1366