Re: why must Debian call Taiwan a "Province of China"?

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 20:39, Mathieu Roy <yeupou@coleumes.org> wrote:
> >>    I am sure that is not the only example where the name of the country
> >> is confused or country has completely different names in different
> >> languages.
>
> Well, French often refers to England when they talk about United
> Kingdom.

"United Kingdom" is the correct name, I have a passport that says "United
Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" not "England".  In referring
to nationality you refer to people as being English, Scottish, or Welsh not
UKish.  I'm not sure whether "Irish" is always an acceptable designation for
people from Northern Ireland (similar to the original issue).

> And many people call Americans people of the United-States of
> America.
>
> But these mistakes should be avoided.

"United States" is the correct name of that country, see the below URL:
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html

The only disagreement regarding the US is whether you call it's citizens
"Americans" or "USians" (*).  The phrase "people of the United States" is
strictly correct and not in dispute.

(*)  Recently the term "USian" has been dramatically gaining in popularity
around the world.  Most people who get called "USian" can't work out why.