Re: hotplug logical devices?

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 19:14 -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:

>     J>  --- Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> wrote:
>     >> Hotplug asks me:
>     >>
>     >> Configuring hotplug -------------------
>     >>
>     >> Hotplug has used logical interface name (hotplug) for ifup, so
>     >> you need to configure /etc/network/interfaces to use "mapping
>     >> hotplug" stanzas. Now, hotplugcan be configured not to use such
>     >> hacks.
>     >>
>     >> Do you use logical interface for ifup?
>     >>
>     >> can someone translate this for me?
>
>     J> The message should be reworded, but here's the gist.
>
>     J> Previously, hotplug did, e.g., "ifup eth0=hotplug" when eth0
>     J> appeared.  Now you can choose to have hotplug do "ifup eth0"
>     J> instead.
>
> Would you or someone who understands this issue suggest alternate text
> to the maintainer?  I think the current text is fairly confusing.

It was I who [1]asked for this "feature", but not as a low-priority
debconf question but as the default. The point is that you can get
your Cardbus and USB network interfaces configured automatically upon
insertion without having to put a special "mapping" stanza in
/etc/network/interfaces. But since it's not the default I will have to
make d-i write out this stanza anyway for Cardbus devices.

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/241773

--
Pelle