Re: Release update

On 04-Apr-04, 03:56 (CDT), Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
> Javier Fern??ndez-Sanguino Pe??a wrote:
>
> The automatic portmap install sucks, and apparently is usually due to FAM
> requiring and using RPC.

Didn't we have this discussion last week? (See the archives, on "New
portmap packages" and "Fam mustn't depend on portmap", in January 04.)

The conclusion was that fam is written in a way to make it difficult to
seperate, and that portmap wasn't huge security risk anyway, but that it
should default to listening only on localhost. I think.

> Who uses identd anyway? :-)

IRC users. A lot of IRC daemons expect the client to support identd
services, even though it's completely useless.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net