Re: New summary: Binary peripheral software

Herbert Xu writes:
> Even though I have no legal training whatsoever, surely companies like
> RedHat/Suse would have sought legal advice on this since this issue has
> been around for many years.

Red Hat cares only that Red Hat not be sued.  It is, IMO, likely that GPLd
works containing binaries put in them by the sole author of the work can be
redistributed with impunity.  If so, Red Hat's lawyers will have told them
so.  If not, Red Hat may have gotten private letters of permission from the
authors.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)