Re: Packages with un usable documentation

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 04:37:47PM +0200, Otto Wyss wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> > Serious bugs will likewise be downgraded. Please don't inflate bug
> > severities; it's extremely rude.
> > http://release.debian.org/sarge_rc_policy.txt
> I _don't_ want to file any bug, even if module-init-tools is _not_
> usable. I want to discuss this matter in a way which solves this
> increasing problem but it seems you aren't interested.

The way to start discussions isn't to say "I will file bugs at
release-critical severities", especially when people who want to get a
release out are listening ...

Lack of adequate documentation is certainly a bug, but not every bug
that annoys the submitter is release-critical, which is something I keep
having to point out again and again while going over the
release-critical bug list. (Fortunately, these days the severities are
more clearly defined so this problem is less bad than it used to be.)

> It is so simple to add a few starter hints (seldome more than a 10min
> work) which are missing in an increasing number of packages.

I won't be adding man-db(7), nor do I think that it needs
/usr/share/doc/man-db/README.Debian to tell you what you could find out
from 'dpkg -L man-db'; learning 'dpkg -L' benefits you for *every*
package, not just the ones you get changed. I really don't think other
packages should have to do this, either.