Re: testing and no release schedule

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 05:23:14PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> The reason we don't like that is that freezes *suck*. If X is going to
> take five months to stabilise, and a new release of KDE comes out one
> month into that that takes just one month to stabilise, how does it
> make any sense to block an updated KDE? Or conversely? They suck worse

There's a long-before announced date "freeze on ...", and all new
upstream versions that aren't in unstable at that time will not be part
of the release.

That's the simple and working solution.

> if you're the RM, because you have to approve _every single upload_,
> probably for months on end. For potato, for the five or six weeks I was
> acting RM, that was some 300 changes; since potato the archive's grown
> by three or four times, and the potato freeze went for something like
> eight months, not six weeks. And that's not to mention that for potato,

Who said RM is a lazy job without work?  ;-)

> we thought a hundred RC bugs was almost impossible to manage; and weren't
> even trying to ensure absolutely everything had its dependencies met,
> let alone its build-dependencies.

AFAIR, in potato on i386 all dependencies were met, and there was
exactly one Recommends that couldn't be fulfilled. This was far better
than the state in woody.

> At the moment, d-i is still acting as a showstopper for a release; so
> it's not terribly worth worrying about figuring out better ways to fix
> RC bugs elsewhere; they're simply not the major problem.

With the current release schedule, the lack of testing after the actual
freeze is _very_ short.

In big commercial project, you typically denote a forth or even half of
the development time for testing [1].

Depending on whether there will be a d-i final, the estimated time
between the actual freeze and the release will be a few days or a month
plus a few days. Is this really enough time for all important bugs to be
found and reported?

> Cheers,
> aj

cu
Adrian

[1] yes, there are also projects where version 1.0 means "first test
    version" and the beta test is at the custumer - but that's not the
    level of quality Debian is known for

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed