Re: The new broken world of 2.6, ALSA, and hotplug.

#include <hallo.h>
* Scott Robinson [Tue, Mar 30 2004, 04:44:43PM]:
> #1) Hotplug has recently started automatically loading drivers via PCI
> enumeration in its init script. This alone has caused a variety of problems.
> Assuming hotplug doesn't load the OSS drivers first (#238694), it goes ahead
> and loads all the appropriate ALSA drivers... but misses OSS emulation.

And this cannot be solved via an "above alsa-base ..." command somewhere
in the modprobe configuration files, no?

> The module dependencies are generated by alsa-base.

Why? I always hated this static hocus-pocus to load modules in the
alsa-base script, and used my own set of modules in /etc/modules (plus
post-inst commands to load volume settings, later the aumix init
script). If hotplug manages it the module loading now, fine.

> #2) ALSA's init script is executed after hotplug. The mixer settings are
> then "restored."
> The wrong settings will be applied if your card order changes due to
> hotplug.

Then fix this script. It should not depend on the order of drivers
name/id/... from the loaded driver for certain _known_ hardware) simply
sucks. I am glad that the Linux developers have recently understood it,
though the way they choosed has some rough edges and needs time to
become mature.

> #3) ALSA's init script then detects that the drivers are already loaded, and
> assumes this is because ALSA was compiled statically in to the kernel.

Another reason why I hated this script. Either it did not do things that
I expected or it did something wrong.

they should made be in a way that bothers as few users as possible.
Asking via debconf to disable the ALSA's init script insanity would be
the first step.

Wer aufrecht seinen Weg sucht, stets seinem Gewissen verantwortlich,
dem dürfen wir unsere Achtung nicht versagen, er mag mit uns oder
gegen uns gehen.
		-- Robert Bosch