Re: Binary-only firmware covered by the GPL?

Hi Dumitru.

/*
    This file is under the GPL, yada yada
*/
#include "things.h"

void some_func(void)
{
  does_something();
}

char firmware[]={0x01, 0x02, 0x03, 0x04, 0x05, 0x06, 0x07};

void upload_firmware(void)
{
  do_upload(firmware);
}

--

Then it seems clear to me that the firmware is under the GPL because it
is PART of the GPL'd file.

If you're right, then the "binary" of the firmware it's GPL, not the
source of the firmware, because that's what you have in this case :)

You can have that ? GPL the binary but not the source ? :)

Not as far as I know, you can't put the resulting binary under a
different license than the source, but hey, IANAL :)

That would make all sorts of nasty implications if it was possible.

// Stefan