Re: Possible NMU for Ghostscript packages

Hi Masayuki!

On 2004-03-24 17:47 +0900, Masayuki Hatta wrote:
> I wanted to use the latest Ghostscripts for testing purpose, so made
> Debian packages of them.

I just tested these packages (both gpl and afpl), both viewing ps
(with gv) and creating/viewing pdf works great.  Unfortunately I could
not test printing so far (I'll inform you when I managed to do that).
Maybe there's somebody else who can also try that.

Automatic upgrading to gs-gpl succeeded; but it is currently not
possible to install only gs-afpl since gs depends on gs-gpl. So
currently you either have to additionally install gs-gpl (and manually
change the alternative to gs-afpl) or delete the gs package which may
break future upgrades. One simple solution would be to let gs depend
on gs-gpl | gs-afpl.

The current number and names of the Provides: seems quite odd anyway.
Maybe you can clean up that a bit? If gs-gpl and gs-afpl intentionally
provide 'gs' and gs is indeed intended as a transitional package, then
maybe both packages should Conflict: to gs to have it automatically
removed. OTOH if gs is _not_ a transitional package (because it may be
needed for other purposes) then no package should Provide: gs.
This might not be your fault, maybe it was so already in the 7.x
packages of Torsten, but when you are at it you should fix that as
well.

> BTW, the Debian gs(-common|-aladdin) package has not been updated as
> often as desired, and bugs are steadily accumulated.  Some of them are
> actually well worth RC IMHO.  How do you think about NMUing those
> stuff?

The Developer's reference does not recommend it, but personally I
favor the "When you're at it, do it as well as you can" approach, i.
e. fix as many bugs as possible. Of course only under the condition
that Torsten does not reply for a longer time (say one or two weeks?)
or does not object to it, and you send proper patches to the BTS.

Would you like to NMU gsfonts as well? It is darn outdated, a new
upstream version is available for a very long time now (see #207485)
and is recommended by upstream for _all_ gs versions.  Since this
package just ships font files, packaging and updating it should be
easy and there should be only little chance to break anything.

Thanks for your work and have a nice day!

Martin

--
Martin Pitt                 Debian GNU/Linux Developer
martin@piware.de                      mpitt@debian.org