Re: Raising severity of Contains /usr/share/info/dir.gz if rebuilt on current sid"-bugs.

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 10:45:56AM +0100, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> About 4 months ago I digged through Debian to find all packages which
> would contain /usr/share/info/dir.gz if rebuilt
[...]
> Today an NMU happened (anubis) which did exactly
> this. To stop this from happening again
[...]

James Troup pointed out on IRC that this reasoning ("botched NMUs
break stuff") is not very convincing, I want to change it to: "We want
to be able to recompile sarge without introducing RC-bugs just by
rebuilding, don't we?

On a sidenote somebody proposed a lintian test for this. - This won't
work usually because the bug only pops up if /usr/sbin is in your
$PATH when you compile the package (most of us have not but the
autobuilders do). - So even if *your* home-compiled package checks out
ok with lintian and debdiff the autobuilt one will be broken.
                 cu andreas