Re: problem with defoma and non-GTK/KDE apps

"Arne Götje (é«?ç??è?¯)" <20030910antispam@gmx.net> wrote:

> Ok, I think I found the problem. The problem lies in the fonts.scale and
> fonts.dir files in /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/TrueType.

OK.

> Example for the ttf-arphic-bsmi00lp package:
> The entries in fonts.scale are:
> ai=0.167:bsmi00lp.ttf -arphic-ar pl mingti2l
> big5-medium-i-normal--0-0-0-0-c-0-big5-0
>
> bsmi00lp.ttf -arphic-ar pl mingti2l
> big5-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-c-0-big5-0

[...]

The lines are wrapped, but I suppose your MUA did this.

> As you can see, the majority of the entries have formatting parameters
> in front of the fontname.
> When I create the fonts.scale, fonts.dir and fonts.alias files
> in /usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType amnually for this font and put that font
> path into XF86Config-4 in front of the defoma path, everythig works
> fine. xcin uses these entries, while other apps seem to use the defoma
> entries. The only difference between the two versions is, that the
> formatting attributes are missing.
>
> I've noted the following behaviour:
> - when deleting the formatting parameters in the defoma fonts.scale and
> fonts.dir it still does not work.

If you have the same font files and the same non-fonts files
(fonts.scale & Co), it should really work. Did you use diff to compare
the files?

> The hints file for the ttf-arphic-bsmi00lp package looks liike this:
> ----------------------------
> category truetype
> begin /usr/share/fonts/truetype/arphic/bsmi00lp.ttf
>   Family = Arphic-Ming
>   FontName = ShanHeiSun-Light
>   Encoding = Unicode
>   Location = Chinese-Taiwan English
>   Charset = ISO10646-1 BIG5 ISO8859-1
>   UniCharset = BIG5 ISO8859-1
>   GeneralFamily = Ming
>   Weight = Light
>   Width = Fixed
>   Shape = Upright
>   Alias = Arphic-MingB5 ArphicMingB5
>   Foundry = Arphic
>   Priority = 20
>   X-Family = AR_PL_Mingti2L_Big5
>   X-Weight = medium
>   X-ElementAlias = foundry=default:family=ming:resx=72:resy=72
>   TTCap = halfwidth-bw=0.5 italic-angle=0.167 no-roblique no-oblique
> no-ritalic
> end
> -----------------------------------

You should compare this to:

  /usr/share/doc/defoma-doc/developers.html/ch1.html#s1.1

Unfortunately, the very parameter that seemed to cause problems in your
fonts.scale file, TTCap, is not documented there.

> I'd like to know if the solution I proposed will work be simply
> modifying the hints file (and if yes, how?)

I hope so...

> Can someone give me a hint where to find detailed documentation about
> how defoma works?

Apart from /usr/share/doc/defoma-doc/, the sample hint files under
/usr/share/doc/defoma/ and the manpages in the defoma package, I don't
think there is much documentation other than the code.

--
Florent