Re: Policy on Account creation and deletion?

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 09:42:57 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
<hmh@debian.org> wrote:
>On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, Marc Haber wrote:
>> I am wondering what a package should do if the account already exists:
>>    * use this account verbatim?
>
>If it is a system account, yes.  If it is not, well, I think we should
>bang out with an error, and my packages do just that.  But that's IMHO.

YHO sounds reasonable. Only question to leave is how you'd determine a
system account. uid < 1000?

>> (3) Deletion
>> I think that the account should be deleted when the package is
>> uninstalled. dpkg documentation says that the only difference between
>> remove and purge is that remove doesn't delete conffiles while purge
>> does. This can be interpreted as a requirement to remove the account
>> even on remove, which might lead to files becoming unowned.
>
>IMHO, we should go with the spirit of the thing.  If you need the account
>there to keep the conffiles in a sane state, then don't remove it on package
>removal.  Otherwise, do as you wish.

Conffiles would include spool and log files here, right? So you'd
recommend deleting the account during the remove/purge state that
doesn't leave files owned by the account on the system?

Greetings
Marc