Re: A sensible plan for non-free

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 07:45:09PM -0600, Ean Schuessler wrote:
> Therefore, I propose the following:
>
> Non-free and contrib should stay exactly where they are. They should be in the
> current bug system and in every way, from a development point of view, they
> should be dealt with in the way that we currently deal with them.
>
> The change I suggest is that the non-free and contrib sections be protected by
> certificate authentication. Certificates will be distributed to 3rd parties
> who sign up as an official 3rd party distributor of the non-free and contrib
> sections. All developers will also be issued a certificate for development
> purposes. Beyond these groups no end user will be able to download non-free
> or contrib software from a Debian controlled server.

This sounds like a reasonable suggestion.

But let me see if I can paraphrase this: the non-free continues to be
archived on Debian servers but only DDs and authorized 3rd parties
will be able to access the non-free portion of the archve.

If this is so, how do you believe a non-DD access non-free over the
Internet?