Re: A freak (but not so freak) idea: User space apt-get install

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 05:38:51PM -0300, Daniel Ruoso wrote:
> Then I remembered pbuilder that actually does exactly this. And I
> thought that it may be possible to have an user space apt-get install,
> and even (in some specific cases) desirable.

Take a look at dpkg(8), apt.conf(5) and
/usr/share/doc/apt/examples/configure-index.gz

In particular, look at dpkg's options for --force-not-root and
--root=<DIRECTORY>.  Typically, you could use this w/other force options
to install in $HOME.  Set up apt w/it's Dir:: options to point to
directories in $HOME.

Once you've set things up, write a HOWTO and post it here and on Debian
User. ;-)

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/