Re: [debian-printing] Packaging of vendor PPD files.

On Friday 05 March 2004 23:56, Roger Leigh wrote:
> "Per Olofsson" <pelle@dsv.su.se> writes:
> > * A meta package, ppd-all, should depend on all PPD collection
> >   packages.
>
> I'd prefer ppd-common or ppd-base (I take "all" imply "everything").

Which seems to be Rogers intention.
OTOH i don't know why i would want a dep on all pkgs listed neatly one
after the other with 'dpkg -l ppd-\*'

> > I'm not sure if /usr/share/postscript/ppd is the right directory to
> > use, one could also imagine simply using /usr/share/ppd since
> > /usr/share/postscript doesn't seem to be used for anything else.
>
> /usr/share/ppd seems OK to me.  If we used /usr/share/postscript, if
> there anything else that it could be used for?

Postscript?

Please correct me - some 20 years ago we programmed automation and even
some 'homecomputer' in a (beloved) threaded programming language
'Forth' offering 'dictionaries' to store your newly created 'words'
that contain instructions and/or data (active! data objects!).
Ship with some specific dictionary and you get - right!
Find examples in /usr/share/doc/gs and /usr/share/gs(!) and watch the
elegance of RPN. You'll find that the creation of some data words that
receive bitmap operations and transfer them to a print engine is merely
a product of some routines shipped in the standard dictionaries ...

In principle we could kick perl and python and have
eg. /usr/share/postscript/adduser.ps or even init.ps.

Have a nice day, martin