Re: packaging question

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 02:03:40PM -0600, Gary Kramlich wrote:
> I'm trying to package my gaim plugin as a debian package.  Since there
> is no gaim-dev package I can not make it a dependency.  I've tried
> adding the gaim source to the source dir, but dpkg-buildpackage exits
> with:
>
> dpkg-source: unrepresentable changes to source
>
> after it outputs the .dsc file.  I've dug through the new package
> maintainer tutorial on the site, but have found nothing to help me in
> this situtation.

It sounds like it might be productive to try and get the gaim maintainer to
produce a gaim-dev package.  Adding the whole gaim source (or even a subset)
to your package is a bad idea; if the gaim API changes and you don't notice
or don't properly update your version of the files, you'll get some major
explosions.

The easiest way to get the package you want is to make the mods to gaim to
build the -dev package and send the patch to the BTS.  Hopefully Robert will
apply it fairly quickly (especially if you tell him that you're looking to
use it for a package of your own).

- Matt