Re: [debian-printing] Packaging of vendor PPD files.

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 14:23 +0100, A Mennucc wrote:
> >What would be the best package to place these in?
> >
> maybe, epson-ppd

Or ppd-epson. In any case, I don't think it would be correct to call
it a driver, since it isn't really a driver, just a printer
description.

> *) hp-ppd installs a symlink
> $ ls -l /usr/share/cups/model
> total 0
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           20 Mar  1 11:49 hp-ppd ->
> ../../postscript/ppd
>
> I added it some years ago (on request of an user), and I hope it is
> still useful (I don't use CUPS, because I don't understand it);

It is useful, but it would be better if the cupsys package provided
this symlink instead, so that /usr/share/postscript/ppd won't be
specific to hp-ppd.

> *) it may be nice to have a naming standard; s.o. suggested ppd-<vendor>
> which is very nice, but my package is already named hp-ppd  :-(

But you could change the name?

> but in the long run, we may want to code them in UTF8, and/or to provide
> a way to internationalize them ( .ppd.po ? )

Are you aware of any PPD-using packages which support translated PPDs?

--
Pelle