Re: bashisems in maintainer scripts.

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 12:41:26AM +0100, David Weinehall wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 07:53:37PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > [Jeroen van Wolffelaar]
> > > Why not simply use #!/bin/bash (it's essential), nobody is forced to
> > > use /bin/sh...
> > >
> > > Baf, all problems gone, bashisms are allowed, if it works with bash,
> > > it works, bash is portable within Debian so problem solved.
> > >
> > > Or did I miss something?
> >
> > Yes.  bash have a bug making it useless as /bin/sh when using LDAP and
> > /usr/ is a separate partition.  See bug #159771 for the details.
> >
> > /bin/ash do not have this problem, so that is what we use in
> > debian-edu. :)
>
> Imho it would be a worthy goal in the long run to make bash
> non-essential (a first step would be to make all maintainer-scripts
> using /bin/sh posix-compliant, a second-step to make scripts using
> /bin/bash posix-compliant), but I suppose I'm alone in this.

(Talking to myself...  Yay, I'm going schizo!  No we're not!)

I forgot to mention that I'd be happy to do script-fixing for people
that wants help with it.  I can't promise to be able to replace all
bash-scripts with sh-scripts, because I suspect bash is capable of all
sort of nasty things, but I'll do my best.

Regards: David Weinehall
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /) Northern lights wander      (\
//  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky //