Re: OT: Free Software and politics

Marek Habersack <grendel@debian.org> wrote:

>> It's scarier than that.  Politics is mostly about people trying to do
>> the right thing and fucking it up.  That is a far, far scarier thought
>> to digest then the fact that malevolence is involved.
> I'm not sure I agree - errare humanum est - to err is human. Everybody has
> the right to make mistakes, to fuck something/anything up. But the key lies
> in admitting to the mistake and LEARNING from it. Politicians, in my eye,
> don't ever do that. That's scary. And it's even scarier that people allow
> them to do it over and over again.

I think you misunderstood my point. When I talked about politics, I
use the word in the original ancient greek sense, not in the policians
sense.

As a matter of fact, most politicians are just being politicians, not
doing politics. When you work for your party instead of your country,
or are indeed not doing politics.

That probably why it is not obvious to you that doing Free Software is
a political stand. You argue that Free Software is not about being
polician (being politician) and that Software is not in itself about
politics, while I'm just saying that Free Software is about politics.

> marek
>
> p.s. let's move the topic out of this list, if you want to answer me, do it
> in private, please.

Well, the title changed, so there's no risk of confusion. We are at
least 3 persons on that list interested in the subject, I see no
reason to go private and to exclude someone else from the discussion.

Regards,

--
Mathieu Roy

  | General Homepage:           http://yeupou.coleumes.org/             |
  | Computing Homepage:         http://alberich.coleumes.org/           |
  | Not a native english speaker:                                       |
  |     http://stock.coleumes.org/doc.php?i=/misc-files/flawed-english  |