Cache-Control: max-age sent by apt might delay installation of security updates (was: apt experimental breaks w/ webcaching)
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Cache-Control: max-age sent by apt might delay installation of security updates (was: apt experimental breaks w/ webcaching)
- From: Marc Haber <email@example.com>
- Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:10:32 +0100
- Message-id: <[🔎] E1AxAnA-0002lJ-VG@q.bofh.de>
- In-reply-to: <20040117022344.GB29784@alcor.net>
- References: <20031230002726.GS1365@alcor.net> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20031230165317.GZ1365@alcor.net> <20031230184954.GA947@mail.schiach.de> <20031230185649.GE1365@alcor.net> <9B252B14-3BCA-11D8-A634-00039317863E@suespammers.org> <20031231203522.GD1365@alcor.net> <A6DE3686-3CAB-11D8-BEF5-00039317863E@suespammers.org> <6B6119AE-3CBB-11D8-BEF5-00039317863E@suespammers.org> <20040116221253.GA9364@deneb.enyo.de> <20040117022344.GB29784@alcor.net>
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 18:23:44 -0800, Matt Zimmerman <email@example.com>
>apt 0.6.11+ sends an appropriate Cache-Control: max-age header, so if the
>cache honors it (and the standard requires this),
Can you please explain "aproppriate"? apt 0.5.21 seems to always send
Cache-Control: max-age: 86400 which I consider inappropriate. How does
apt 0.6.11 calculate the max-age header?
The problem that I see is the following: From what I have understood
and tested, squid will not even ask the server addressed in the URL
for a later version if the object in the local cache is younger than
the max-age value given by the client.
This means the following: If a client does apt-get update via a squid
at time x, and Debian issues a security update at time x+10m, all
clients using this squid instance and apt 0.5 will not get that
security update until x+86400s, which might be 86399 seconds too late.
In my humble opinion, the default value for Cache-Control: max-age
needs to be much lower, in the range of a few minutes. If we don't
lower that default value, our mirrors should issue Expires-Headers
with a much shorter time to live on Packages files. This _especially_
goes for s.d.o.
I'd appreciate comments about this, as I might be misled.
-------------------------------------- !! No courtesy copies, please !! -----
Marc Haber | " Questions are the | Mailadresse im Header
Karlsruhe, Germany | Beginning of Wisdom " | Fon: *49 721 966 32 15
Nordisch by Nature | Lt. Worf, TNG "Rightful Heir" | Fax: *49 721 966 31 29