Re: Making packages of php pear modules

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 10:48:48AM +0100, Uwe Steinmann wrote:
> I started to think about making the huge number of php pear modules
> available for debian. After looking at one which I will need myself
> real soon, it appears not to be very difficult.
> Anyway there are some questions:

> 1. Is there any naming convention already? There is one package
>    called php4-pear-log. Should all packages start with php4-pear?
> 	 The pear module which I already packaged is named
> 	 php4-pear-http-webdav-server which is somewhat long.

I would actually prefer that such PEAR packages *not* be prefixed with
'php4', since they normally are not at all specific to version 4 of the
engine and do not come from the php4 source package itself.  But a
prefix of 'php-' seems fine.

There's no formal policy on any of this yet, but this is certainly the
way I personally lean right now.

> 2. Has anybody thought about extending pear itself to make it
>    create debian source packages just like rpm packages?
> 	 A quick look at pear indicates that this will not be too
> 	 difficult once a template is available.

Probably worth looking into if somebody has interest in PEAR.  I shudder
every time I see a bug report that includes the words "after running
pear upgrade-all..."

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer