i2c and lm-sensors mess

[CCing David Maze, the maintainer of i2c/lm-sensors]

Hi all,

According to the latest mail of Colin Watson titled "Release update",
Sarge will be freezed soon. There is still a big issue with
i2c/lm-sensors and 2.4 kernels: the current version that is in Sid
causes kernel oops, if the kernel has been build with i2c support.
It is not possible for certain users to disable i2c support in the
kernel as it is used by various modules (such as bttv).

FYI, i2c contains modules only, whereas lm-sensors contains modules
and userspace utiliies.

A solution has to be found before Sarge is freezed. Here is the current
state:

Sarge
-----
Contains i2c 2.7.0, which is compatible with 2.2 and 2.4 kernels, and
not necessary with 2.6 kernels as all the modules are already included
in it.

Contains lm-sensors 2.6.5. The modules are compatible with 2.2 and 2.4
kernels, and not needed with 2.6 kernels. The userspace utilities are
compatible with 2.2 and 2.4 but not with 2.6 kernels. Not compatible
with most packages in Sid which depend on libsensors2 whereas version
2.6.5 provides libsensors1.

Sid
---
Contains i2c 2.8.1 which is uncompatible with 2.2 and 2.4 kernels, and
not necessary with 2.6 kernels for the same reason as version 2.7.0.

Contains lm-sensors 2.8.1. The modules are not compatible with 2.2 and
2.4 kernels and not needed with 2.6 kernels. The userspaces utilities
are not compatible with 2.2, 2.4 and 2.6 kernels. However lm-sensors
2.8.3 is compatible with 2.6 kernels.

There are patches to update i2c in 2.4 kernels to version 2.8.x. However
for various reasons, they won't be included in Debian kernels. This has
been already discussed and I consider the decision closed. The purpose
of this mail is not to reopen the discussion.

Marcello Tossati also refused to update i2c to version 2.8.x in 2.4
kernels.

So, here is what I propose to fix the problems:
1) Upload back version 2.7.0 of i2c and lm-sensors increasing the epoch.

2) Rebuild all packages depending on libsensors2. The list of package to
   be rebuilt is not very long:
   - xsensors
   - wmsensors
   - wmgtemp
   - sensord
   - mrtgutils
   - ksensors
   - hardware-monitor
   - kdebase ??? (lm-sensors support was disabled in the latest version)

At this point, we will support back 2.2 and 2.4 kernels, but not 2.6
kernels. However 2.6 kernels are not supported by version 2.8.1 of
lm-sensors which is currently in Sid.

3) Backport support for 2.6 kernels from version 2.8.3 to 2.7.0. This
   support consists mainly of sysfs support, I think they was also minor
   changes in parsing file /etc/sensors.conf.

Please make comments on this proposal. If need, I could give some help
to implement it.

Cheers,
Aurelien

--
  .''`.  Aurelien Jarno	              GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
 : :' :  Debian GNU/Linux developer | Electrical Engineering Student