Re: Why Linux, Why Debian

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 19:39, Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote:
> No, chargen cannot form part of a DoS attack. Nothing which is
> equivalent to or less effective than a UDP flood forms a meaningful
> part of a DoS attack.

There have been some DoS attacks based on a url of the form:

From memory they affected Netscape Navigator and IE, and some web proxy

Whether this is the fault of the application for not having some limit to
memory use is something that we can debate.  Chargen-TCP has been used as
part of a DoS attack, and turning it off will alleviate some things.

Chargen-UDP is just a bad idea.