Re: testing/security (was Re: Debian needs more buildds. It has offers. They aren't being accepted.)

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 04:54:34PM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> Anthony Towns wrote:
> Exactly -- as opposed to the situation with wanna-build, where people offering
> buildds have cause to expect assistance from the wanna-build access
> controller.  *sigh*

What makes you think you have any more right to expect help from the buildd
maintainers than the release manager has to expect active support from the
security team?

You know, neither you nor Ingo being developers, there not being
a particularly significant long term problem there to address, the
security team having access to resources that aren't easily duplicated
(the 11 arch restricted-access autobuild network, and early announcements
of security issues) unlike the w-b controllers...

Whatever it is that's made you think that has misled you.

> [..] can offer security updates for their 'testing' packages, and send
> them to testing-proposed-updates, correct? [..]
> It is also a reasonable way distribute the work.

The assurance you need to be able to make is "there are no known security
bugs in any of this software"; without centralised tracking of security
issues, and a guarantee that people will respond to issues raised in a
timely fashion, it's not, IMO, reasonable to recommend testing to users
except in very restricted environments. Using t-p-u is entirely possible,
but it doesn't really solve the problem.

Cheers,
aj

             Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we could.
           http://conf.linux.org.au/ -- Jan 12-17, 2004