Re: Custom Debian Distros need the help from debian developers

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 09:20 +0100, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> Why invent new solutions, that are doomed to fail? There are plenty of
> possibilities to get system configured for sysadmins: custom .deb's
> just copying files to /etc, cfengine, rsync and multiple other things.
> You will always need them, as you will most probably never reach a state
> where you can configure everything you need in debconf. (Except when
> you define the good old /etc ad debconf's database...)

Uh, because its really hard to rsync the same XF86Config-4 to 300
(different) machines?  The combination of debconf, discover, and dexconf
was a major reason why we could adopt Debian where I work.

I don't have a problem using rsync, cfengine, or even wacky perl scripts
to maintain configuration files (/me checks all of the above) -- but
files that are generally of a hardware dependent nature should either
ask questions or be able to interface to discover.

Thanks.

--
Scott Dier <dieman@ringworld.org> KC0OBS  http://www.ringworld.org/