> * Jamin W. Collins (jcollins@asgardsrealm.net) wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 02:48:38PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > > Even if nothing's happening? Whatever for?
> >
> > Yes, even if nothing's happening.  It really doesn't take that long to
> > put in an entry that says "Still waiting on X...", at least then it's
> > clear what the status is and that the application hasn't been forgotten,
> > misplaced, etc...
>
> As an AM, and someone who does try to log everything into the NM
> database, this actually does take a while to do for all of my applicants.
> I find it useful for myself because my memory sucks as to what's going on
> with a given applicant.  I don't believe any of my applicants have found
> it useful, or really anyone else other than the front desk (if even he
> does, not sure).
>
> > > You also seem to be confusing the requirement that the applicant be
> > > told what's going on and the website be updated so everyone knows
> > > what's going on.
> >
> > IMO, they should be one and the same.  The process should be
> > transparent.  And in some of the cases I know about personally, neither
> > the applicant or the web site were updated.
>
> This is wrong.  Alot happens between the applicant and the AM that isn't
> logged on the website, even for me.  Requiring everything to go through
> the website for the benefit of those who are not involved is an
> illconceived waste of time.  I do my log entries for myself and if I
> could remember where all of my applicants were at a given time I would
> spend my time on other things.

If you add something to the log the "Last changed" stamp changes,
right? That would already be a very good indicator that someone is not
just forgotten. No more is requested for normal cases, only when it
gets to be >3 or >6 Month a note why its stuck should always be there.

> > Do you assume that a BTS report with no response logged from the
> > maintainer is being worked on?
>
> If I've received a mail directly from him on it then certainly.  Or on
> IRC, or in the topic, or on some other bug report, or if it's been less
> than 24 hours, etc, etc.

I know from experience that I forget such things. Logging whats
happening in the BTS for things that takes longer helps to reminds
oneself (and others finding the same bug) whats going on. I think its
good style to allways react to the BUG in the BTS itself, even if you
only set the confirmed tag after you tested the bug to show the next
guy its being worked on.

> > How exactly was I "rejecting offers of help" in that post?  I was asked
> > a question and responded with my view on the matter.  From my experience
> > in the NM process, the only delay was DAM approval, not AM processing.
> > My AM processing took all of about a week, the AM was more than responsive.
>
> For me, at least, that'd be close to a miracle to get an application
> done in a week.  I'd think it'd be the case with most people.  There
> certainly is delay in the AM processing, it's just more obvious what
> that delay is.  When you consider all that the DAM does the time it
> takes is generally rather reasonable.
>
> 	Stephen

MfG
        Goswin