Re: Why Linux, Why Debian

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 09:16:50PM -0800, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 12:24:11AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> >> What has debootstrap got to do with cross-compilation? It just wgets
> >> packages from a Debian mirror and unpacks and installs them; it doesn't
> >> do any kind of from-source bootstrapping.
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 04:42:33PM -0800, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> > Sounds like a relatively major gaffe on my end.
> Or maybe not:
> I: Extracting libstdc++5...
> chroot: mount: Exec format error

debootstrap runs natively. It doesn't do cross-architecture installs
or cross-compilation.

The next major update will do cross-arch installs, but that still requires
a fair chunk of work to be done natively when you first boot into the
deboostrapped filesystem. If that's not okay, you probably want to look into
FAI.

Cheers,
aj

             Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we could.