Re: ntp 4.2.0 in experimental

On Monday 16 February 2004 13.13, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> 100 sounds more spread out.

110 right now, minus a few which currently are detected as unreachable or
falseticker by the 5 monitoring servers in place.

> I still would like some mechanism to
> choose more local servers but hey, solutions for a small planet. :)

Well, some continental and country subzones are in place (europe.pool.ntp.org,
ch.pool.ntp.org), but not all (there's no africa.pool.ntp.org, no
south-america.pool.ntp.org, and lots of countries are missing.

I'd like to insert the missing zones as aliases of a nearby, or of the global
zone at soem time in the future to make autoconfiguration possible, but,
well, you know how few hours a day has...

> But won't it be a problem if the timeserver is changing with every dns
> call? Does ntp lookup the IP only once and keeps using that till its
> restarted?

DNS lookup is only done at start up. The biggest problem right now is an NTP
server disappearung - ntp clients won't try to find another one. Supporting
DNS round robin server pools by upstream has been briefly discussed, but
nobody stepped forward to implement it so far.

greetings
-- vbi

--
Melted fruit snacks found on Keyboard. Delete nephew [Y/N]?