Re: Simple shell scripting question from a newbie.

On 06-Feb-04, 08:50 (CST), "Francesco P. Lovergine" <frankie@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 07:13:24AM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > for portability (the Sun Solaris /bin/sh doesn't support -z) people
>
> To be more precise, the problem is the program 'test' or '[' which
> is an alias for it. The shell is not the guilty in this case.

True enough. However, it has plenty else to attone for.

Hey, Sun, are you out there? When are you going to start shipping a
POSIX compliant OS? And no, I *don't* consider having POSIX tools over
in /usr/xpg4/bin an acceptable substitute, because it doesn't help all
the shell scripts that start with '#!/bin/sh', and work just fine on
AIX, HP-UX, and, of course, Linux.

Oh, sorry, didn't mean to go off on a rant...

Steve

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net