Re: Soliciting "I need these everywhere I go" package lists from Debian admins

> That's a bad idea, I'm afraid. Netgear had a static NTP server in one of
> it's routers and this was the outcome:

I agree it's a bad idea, but the reason Netgear caused such a mess was that
there was a bug in their software that caused their routers to go nuts with
requests.

> It's just best to use the closest NTP server to avoid unnecessary
> traffic.

Try your ISP's nameservers first.  They are often timeservers.  I'm going
to try to come up with a way to automate this for Chrony.

> For example, I think all ISPs in Finland have one.

I'm sure that almost all ISPs have at least one, but I don't trust them to
make it accessible to their customers (and I think you can guess what
answer you will get if you ask "support" about timeservers).
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)