Re: Making SysV boot scripts reboot faster

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 04:41:35AM -0400, Peter Cordes wrote:

>  I always find it dumb that rebooting a GNU system involves doing so much
> stuff, when the machine is going to be rebooted anyway.  e.g. why
> deconfigure the network interfaces?  It's not even getting saved, it's just
> volatile system state that will be destroyed by the reset.
>
>  For a reboot, all you need to do is save anything that's needed, and close
> any files that are open for writing.

Consider that some kinds of network interfaces (such as those configured
with DHCP) are associated with a file open for writing on the filesystem.

> You don't have to bring the system to the exact state it was in at bootup,
> or anything.  Then you can unmount your filesystems to make sure they're
> in sync (including network mounts), and reboot.  Some daemons that only
> log to syslog don't even need to be stopped, since they won't have any
> files open for writing.  Scripts like alsa will just save mixer settings
> on reboot, and only unload the modules on stop.

All daemons need to be given a chance to shut down gracefully; you don't
know what kind of internal state they are maintaining.  A daemon which only
writes to syslog isn't very useful; most of them provide other services
besides logging.

>   I do think it would be good to have some mechanism, maybe a magic comment
> in the file that update-rc.d looks for when setting up the symlinks.
>
> It's annoying to have init scripts which you've removed the symlinks for,
> and you don't know where to put them back.  (was this S10 or S35?...)  A
> format for comments that update-rc.d could read would be nice in general,
> and could be used for my purpose too.

I hate magic comments.  If information like this were needed, it would
belong in a configuration file.

--
 - mdz