Re: Upcoming Debian multiarch support (amd64, sparc64, s390x, mips64) [affects sarge slightly]

Hallo,

Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> schrieb/wrote:
> claus@xn--frber-gra.muc.de (Claus Färber) writes:
>> The method of putting libraries into /lib/ and /lib64/ does not work
>> if you want to have i386 and ppc, for example, on the same system.

> The decision to put libraries inot /lib and /lib64 has been made quite
> some time ago and works fine.

It does not work with multiple architectures where "multiple" does not
mean "two, which differ in word size".

If all library packages have to be changed anyway (to allow them to
install into /lib64), we can as well change them to make the more
general case of installing any two different architectures work, too.
The small change to ldconfig is hardly more work.

> I would say thats pretty much unchangeable now without a realy good
> reason. Everyone objecting to /lib64 is a few years to late.

Please note that my proposal also affects /lib, not only /lib64.

Claus
--
Connollystraße 8, D-80809 München, Tel. +49 700 CFAERBER, Fax +49 89 35709492
Mitterfeldstraße 20, D-83043 Bad Aibling - ICQ: 15468108 - www.faerber.muc.de