Thoughts...

Hey there!

Today I was reading at http://planet.debian.net (nice site btw) and
stumbled into that a new DWN had been released..
Read there, that a new "Attempted Progress Report: Sarge" was released..
That made me happy, was all warm inside when the last report was
released.. i read the new release, and read most of the posts following
on the mailinglist.

As a non debian-developer i still has some points that im sure has been
taken up before, at all major releases.. (woody,potato etc..), but
thought you wanted to hear them anyway..

Im _glad_ to hear that Sarge is closer than it ever has been to a
release..  :)

It hurts my eyes to read about all the fuss about how people argue about
how a new version of gcc would or wouldnt affect the distribution as a
whole.

Ofcourse one can imagine that if most packages were built with gcc
version X and libc version Y that it would be a problem if a newer
version of them both were introduced..
But still one can also understand how the developers want to wait for
new releases that introduces bugfixes, but _Most_ new releases introduce
bugfixes for older releases. So, i see this as a for(;;); loop..
I imagine that this is what the freeze is for.

And for me, it feels as if the base-system is most important to be
perfect, than perhaps the graphical tools.. since most graphical tools
is beeing used on workstations, and the base-system + commandline tools
is beeing used on servers.

Dont get me wrong guys/girls, I _REALLY_ appreciate your struggle for
perfection. REALLY!!
But still, perhaps there might be an idea to loosen the strictness
abit?!

Anyway, this is kindof my way to tell you guys/girls that you are doing
a Awsome job, and ... a release now or later, doesnt matter to me..

Why was this mail written?
I thougth you might appreciate thoughts from a user!

And, Appreciation encourages people!!

Best regards
/smurfd